Monday, July 18, 2011

Max Sheppard Saves the Universe (Nicely)

Spoiler warning for ME1 and ME2.

I'm a little late on posting this, as my victory is now about two weeks old. But for the first time ever, I have completed both ME1 and ME2. Our hero, Max Sheppard, was born in the Colonies and was already a War Hero before he came to serve aboard the Normandy. A powerful Adept, he conducted himself in an almost entirely Paragon manner with a handful of exceptions, such as helping a tired Blue Suns mechanic not work so hard (ever again) and teaching an Eclipse merc squad just why fighting underneath cargo cranes and copping an attitude with Commander Sheppard is a bad idea.

Only missions I have not yet done with him are Pinnacle Station (didn't realize it also had to be done before Ilos), Lair of the Shadow Broker (don't have the DLC yet), and Arrival (also don't hve the DLC). Well, that and the Renegade alignment special mission in ME1, since he only did the Paragon one.

In the process of saving the galaxy, he talked Wrex into listening to reason on Virmire, saved Ashley and Captain Kirrahe on the same, freed the Rachni queen, completed all loyalty missions successfully in both games, was nice to Conrad Verner (even though the save game bug doesn't reflect it), saved all the scientists at Sirta Foundation (ditto), and even saved the Council despite how troublesome they were. He also talked Mr. Batia into letting the Alliance keep his wife's body for testing, and ensured that Uvenk received his proper quota of headbutting. He spared lives wherever he had the opportunity, losing only one of the Zhu's Hope colonists. Unfortunately, this included having to let the Batarian terrorist escape on X57. Fist did not get the chance to live, thanks to Wrex' presence on the squad, though Sheppard himself spared him. Thanks to him, Captain Anderson has taken humanity's rightful place on the Council. In the ME2 Suicide Mission, he completed the objective while preserving his entire team, and saved his whole crew as well. He romanced Ashley in ME1, though he did accidentally end up in a love triangle with Liara, which ended with him choosing Ashley. In ME2, he avoided romance conversations, staying true to Ashley throughout, except for the usual flirting banter with Kelly.

Once I can afford Lair of the Shadow Broker and Arrival, he'll do those as well.

Currently, I'm working on a new character, focused on a renegade playthrough. Smiley Sheppard, also male. Earthborn, Ruthless reputation. Paragade or Renagon, whichever one emphasizes Renegade aspects in your definition of the term. He's a Vanguard, because I really wanna play with the Biotic Charge ability once I hit ME2 with him. After him, or possibly alternating if I get bored, is my first Femshep, an Infiltrator named Rosemary. I made her Spaceborn so I could experience all three background missions in ME1 across the three chars, and I think I gave her Sole Survivor as her reputation; I don't remember for sure at this moment and I'm not at liberty to fire the game up to find out.

Next up: My Mass Effect 3 predictions.

No comments:

Post a Comment